Focus: Thinking aloud about your approach to poetry
1. Warm-up: Glimpsing Ms. Leclaire's mind when she attempts a tough poem
2. Entering the mind of Emily Dickinson with a metacognitive approach: (Click HERE for a copy of today's poems)
a. First, with a partner: One reads aloud while the other "metacognates," then switch.
b. Larger class discussion to compare ideas and interpretations (would love a few volunteers to walk us through their thinking using the document camera)...how do we know which one is "the best"?
c. Then, try out Billy Collins "Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes" on your own.
3. Wrap-up: Finding something from today (in terms of reading strategy or content) that resonates with WH
1. Follow the WH reading schedule: Though Chapter X + reading ticket for tomorrow.
2. Continue working on your college essay. Bring a draft on Wednesday, September 11 for peer editing.