Focus: What can sestinas teach us about poetic form and meaning?
1. Warming up with "A Miracle for Breakfast"
Moment (Which words, phrases, images, etc. make you pause?)
Movement (What patterns start to emerge? Where do you see progress, regression, shifts, repetition, circularity?
Multiple Meanings (What complex ideas can infer about the speaker, situation, tone, themes?)
How does the structure of the poem fit its multiple meanings?
2. Trying out "Sestina" as a class; attacking the multiple choice as individuals
3. Working through some of the harder questions together
1. Assigned book club reading/syllabus for tomorrow.
2. Bring your paper/project poem to class on Thursday for your metacognitive writing.