Wednesday, January 22, 2014

We're AP Lit Nerds and Loving It: January 22, 2014

Focus: What does it take to do well on the AP Lit multiple choice test?

1. Warm-up: Celebrating the life and times of Ms. Charlie Payne


From Mr. Ahern: I've had Charlie in Drama and Public Speaking.  It's easy to come up with good things about here, but they sound so generic.  She is a hard worker, she always gets her work done, she puts forth an excellent effort, etc.  I'd rather come up with something unique.  The first thing I think of is her small stature.  So I'd want my quote to be something like "The tiny, tremendously terrific thespian...and public speaker." 

From Ms. Durow: Charlie is always in a positive mood and has a sweet disposition

From Mrs. Winn: I have only know Charlie for a semester but what a blessing to have in class. Compassionate, loving, courageous and full of beauty.  

From Mr. McMullen: I have Charlie in Tech Studies.  Charlie is a sweet, kind hearted girl! She is a creative, conscientious, hard working  student who always has a smile and positive attitude.

From Mr. Spare:
Charlie is a totally cool, interesting, complicated young woman. She has dark thoughts sometimes, but her Shih-Tzu comforts her.  I am very glad that I got to know here this fall. 
Alex Spare
Jan 6
to me
I meant "her" not "here"

And I meant to be weird.



From her mama: "Every time I see this picture it evokes so much emotion - it is one of my all time favorites of her!  This picture inspired me to write Charlie a letter about being strong in all aspects of her life, intellectually, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Now I know I was writing about Warrior Strong."




2. Taking on the big fat multiple choice section

HW:
1. Please read the next four chapters in Beloved by this Friday. For your reading ticket, please find one word that you've taken notice of in the novel so far (perhaps because it's repeated, or because Morrison's using it in a new way), and type a paragraph or two exploring its meaning.  Please include at least one textual passage in your response.

2. Next poetry response due next Monday.

3. If you haven't done so yet, please acquire and start reading your critical review book.

No comments:

Post a Comment